Understanding Water Consumption in the Life Sciences Center
MetadataShow full item record
One water meter monitors Dalhousie University’s Life Sciences Centre (LSC) water delivery system, highlighting a lack of understanding of water use. A dual approach experimental model (descriptive & exploratory research) was used to increase understanding of perceptions, and volumes, of major water use activities; and to build a foundation to encourage future research. A major water use activity is one that requires water to fulfill its main purpose/function, and seven were highlighted for project inclusion. Questionnaires identified minimal water use in student laboratories, and perceptions that water use can be improved in the LSC. Sampling identified 5.8% of the LSC’s total annual water use, and a need for further research to identify how the remaining 94.2% is used. Increasing understanding of water use supports campus sustainability because water costs and water consumption will continue to increase unless action is taken to understand how water is used, and can be conserved.